Two sports, one season: Lexie ’23

The Marlborough Athletics Department permits athletes to play multiple Varsity sports throughout the year, however, very few athletes take on the commitment of participating in two sports during one season. One of the few is Lexie ’23, Varsity golf and tennis player. The small number of dual-sport athletes are recognized at the sports banquet after the season’s end for their dedication to both of their respective teams.

Lexie participated in both Varsity golf and tennis during the fall season. Lexie was senior captain of both teams, and the support she received from both teammates and coaches throughout both seasons contributed to her success as an athlete.

“My teammates and coaches made playing both sports achievable because of their unwavering support and constant enthusiasm,” Lexie said. “Each team taught me different aspects of being an athlete, and I tried to apply these lessons to both sports I played.”

Both tennis and golf entail different skill sets and mentality. Lexie learned and developed these capabilities through her coaches’ encouragement and weekly practices for both sports. She also trained intensely outside of practice. 

Lexie discussed what was required of her as an athlete during the fall season, as well as the necessary time management skills to work on college applications simultaneously. 

“For seniors, the fall is a very busy time academically, and as an athlete I had to miss a lot of classes,” Lexie explained. “Sometimes [I was] going to morning practice for golf and a tennis match in the afternoon, but by communicating with my teachers and scheduling meetings to go over what I missed, I was able to stay on top of my work.”

Lexie’s contributions to tennis and golf  helped lead both of the teams to the CIF competitions, however, she was unable to compete because of an injury. Varsity tennis co-captain and CIF champion Ava ‘23 has been teammates with Lexie since their 7th grade tennis season and discussed Bae’s influence of being a two-sport athlete on the team. 

“Lexie is truly the epitome of what it means to be a Marlborough student-athlete,” Ava explained. “She balances her schoolwork while managing to be a dual athlete, always supporting the team with her consistently positive attitude, even with a torn ACL.”

Lexie was recognized as First Team All League, received the captain’s award and all academic awards for both tennis and golf. Her work as a dual-sport fall athlete shows all other students and members of the Marlborough Athletics Department what is truly possible during one season.

“Playing on both teams was difficult at times, knowing how busy I was during the fall, but I really enjoyed being a part of the tennis and golf teams,” Lexie stated. “If given the choice, I would definitely choose to do both sports again.”