Winter Sports find CIF success

Marlborough’s winter sports teams have made it to CIF Southern Section (SS) after their respective successful seasons. Varsity Basketball and Varsity Water Polo both reached the CIF-SS finals in their divisions, while Varsity Soccer won their league and made it to the second round of CIF. 

The Varsity Water Polo team were runner-ups for the division four CIF-SS championship this season for the second year in a row. The players credit this accomplishment to the dedication of each team member.

“Days before our first CIF game, we each said a goal for ourselves out loud to the team,” member of the water polo team, Alana ‘24, said. “I can truly say everyone put the effort in and accomplished their goals.”

Similarly, the Varsity Basketball team also played in the Division I CIF-SS finals at the Honda Center. Varsity Basketball Coach Sixx Johnson has seen dedication and great  improvement from players since the beginning of the season. 

“It’s been constant improvement and even when we lose games, we learn a lot from those which in turn causes us to improve,” Johnson said.

The Varsity Soccer team also achieved success and passed the first round of Division IV CIF-SS playoffs, which hasn’t happened in 50 years. The team accomplished an undefeated record within their local league,and went on to win the league for the first time in 16 years. 

Co-captain of the Varsity Soccer team, Athena ‘23, believes the rapport of the team is what allowed them to accomplish this feat. 

“Our team has changed amazingly in the four years since I’ve been in high school as we have improved our skill, commitment and camaraderie,” Athena said. “The coaches and players have a wonderful bond, and we all support each other in a way that has led us to accomplish so much in a short amount of time.”

After multiple CIF runs for Marlborough’s winter sports teams, the players are confident that the teams will only continue to improve and develop in the future.

“I feel as though the older players are doing their best to guide the younger players to their future leadership positions,” Athena  said. “I believe that the future of the team is bright and I’m very excited for the team to continue to improve even as the senior players leave.”