Soccer Scrimmage at Sofi

On Feb. 21, 2023, Marlborough’s Varsity Soccer team played in a scrimmage against  Windward School in the fourth largest arena in California: SoFi Stadium. The scrimmage was informal: It did not count towards the team’s record, the playing field was split with another team and no referees were present. These low stakes allowed players, like Oona ‘24, to try out positions in which they had very little experience.

“I was really fun to play on the other side of the field as a center back,” Oona said. “My usual position is forward so it was cool to do something different,”

Through a friend connected to the stadium, Varsity Soccer Coach Carl Dickson was able to organize this memorable event in just three to four weeks of planning. Dickson brought about this scrimmage as an opportunity for the team to try new things, as well as to finish their season in a unique way. 

“It was a pretty special oppurtunity to play at SoFi, epecially as a senior,” team member Sascha ‘23 said. “It was a great way to finish out our season.” 

The impressiveness of the setting made this scrimmage extremely meaningful for the players, including Aria ‘24.

“Playing at SoFi was insane,” Aria said. “The opportunity to play in a stadium like SoFi, with a team I absolutely adore, was an intensely meaningful experience that I am incredibly grateful for.” 

Another factor that elevated this game was Marlborough’s win against Windward, even though it did not contribute to the team’s record. 

“I was really fun to be given the change to play on the SoFi field where professionals play,” Oona said. “But, I felt comfortable playing because it was low stakes and a good environment.”

Marlborough students were also able to spectate and cheer on their friends via VIP passes that provided them access to the stadium. As this was the last ever high school soccer match for the team’s seniors, many of their peers came to watch. 

“I had so much fun at SoFi watching my classmates playing their last game, and I am so glad I was able to go support [them],” Noah ‘23 said. 

A scrimmage in this setting was unlike any other competition the soccer team had participated in previously, which made it more rewarding. 

“The actual game was more easygoing and fun, with the focus being on the experience of playing on the field within the stadium,” Dickson said. “It will be an experience that the players and coaches will never forget.”