Spring into LA’s best events

Aoife ’25

With springtime coming to a close, summer seems to be nearer than ever. While we are all eagerly awaiting the freedoms of summer break, it is also important to take advantage of the exciting events that LA offers throughout the year. Below is a list of The UV’s recommendations for how to spend your free time in this final stretch of springtime.

Festival of Books
April 20-21

This spring, the Los Angeles Times is hosting its annual book festival at the University of Southern California. The festival is held to celebrate the literary world and involves outdoor activities, readings, author discussions and booths from booksellers. It is the most well-attended book festival in the U.S., attracting about 150,000 attendees annually. The Festival of Books celebrates the best literary works each year, awarding notable authors and publishers for their hard work and accomplishments. Attending this festival is free of charge and is sure to be a good time for all bookworms.

Pizza City Fest
April 27-28

For $125, lovers of cheese, pepperoni, pineapple or anything in between can enjoy their dream occasion. Pizza City Fest brings pie lovers of all kinds to the Crypto Arena for pizza sampling from experts around Southern California. This year’s guests include culinary professionals from Joe’s Pizza, Pizzana, La Parolaccia and more. The festival will host Joe Galuten, creator of the YouTube show Don’t Panic Pantry and author of multiple cookbooks, who will teach attendees how to make pizza from home. It will also feature an informational panel on pizza hosted by L.A. food journalist Karen Palmer, founder of Tony’s Pizza Napoletana Tony Gemignani and founder of restaurants Lovely Hula Hands and Lovely Fifty Fifty, Sarah Minnick.

PaleyFest
April 12-20

Calling all TV enthusiasts, the 41st Annual PaleyFest brings together the cast and crew behind your favorite shows on April 12-20 at the Dolby Theater. The event is set to feature stars from “The Morning Show,” “Loki,” “Young Sheldon,” “The Late Show,” “Family Guy,” “Curb Your Enthusiasm” and many more. Guests get the chance to watch live interviews and exclusive episodes from popular programs in the television industry and come face-to-face with their favorite characters. Tickets start at $40 and the event is one-week long and is sure to be a dynamic experience for TV lovers.

Butterfly Pavilion at the Natural History Museum
March 17 – Aug. 25

Opening on March 17, the Butterfly Pavilion at the Natural History Museum allows museum-goers to walk among 30 colorful species of butterflies and beautiful native flowers and plants for only $8 per person. While in the bright pavilion, viewers get to see species they likely have never seen before, including the California native western tiger swallowtail and the tropical Mexican bluewing. Additionally, you will also get the chance to learn more about the butterfly life cycle and speak to specialists to hear interesting butterfly facts. For example, did you know that butterflies’ wings are covered in tiny scales that set them apart from other insects?

Knott’s Berry Farm Boysenberry Celebration
March 8 – April 28

Every year, Knott’s Berry Farm celebrates its namesake during the boysenberry harvest season. They host a festival that serves various plates, desserts and drinks, all based on the hybrid fruit. Attendees can purchase a tasting card and enjoy unlimited access to the tasty creations, including dishes such as beignets with boysenberry sugar and beef stroganoff with boysenberry bolognese. The event also has a variety of activities like a petting zoo, games and boysenberry-inspired artisan products that you can explore as you taste your way through the event!