Pop into the city’s best cinemas

Channing ’25

As a vigorous movie lover, I never get bored of settling down in front of my TV with a bowl of buttered popcorn to watch a good film. Nonetheless, the movies themselves are not always exciting, which is why it is absolutely necessary to get creative about where you watch them. Having visited a fair share of off-the-wall movie theaters, I feel confident that I can provide you with a bevy of places in Los Angeles to watch a good flick in an innovative way. If you’re interested in reinvigorating your movie experience, here is The UV’s list of unique places to watch movies in the entertainment capital of the world:

Egyptian Theater
The 101-year-old Egyptian theater has been drawing in the crowds for its unconventional interior design for quite a while. Located in the heart of Hollywood, this iconic theater has a distinctive Egyptian charm and was recently restored to its original glory in a 2023 renovation. With its grand auditorium, glamorous design and historic qualities, the theater is a perfect place to immerse yourself in an entirely new world. Now, the theater is owned by Netflix, so everyone can come to this theater to watch a Netflix thriller, rom-com or comedy in one of the most historic movie sites in LA.

Boat Cinema
If a theater straight out of Egypt was not enough, watching nautical movies like “Jaws” and “Titanic” from a paddle boat might just seal the deal in unconventional ways to watch a film. Seemingly a twist on the classic drive-in theater experience, the Boat Cinema at the Castaic Lake near Santa Clarita is a perfect place to settle down with a friend. If a boat is too much for you, you can choose to picnic with friends on the lake’s beach for the evening.

Vista Theater
While the unusual boat theater might sound interesting, a revivalist theater opened in the Roaring Twenties might just top it. Owned by one of Hollywood’s most well-known directors Quentin Tarantino, the Vista Theater was recently restored in a manner that revived its old Hollywood feel and kept its original artifacts. Tarantino left no stone unturned in making the theater seem like a time capsule. The snacks offered are complete throwbacks to the ’70s and the interior design is indicative of that earlier feel. All the films shown in the single-space theater run on 35mm or 70mm film. If you want a closer look at Hollywood’s “golden era,” the Vista Theater is a must.

Melrose Rooftop Theatre and Cinespia Cemetery Screenings
If you’re one for the outdoors, a rooftop theater or movie picnic might be the perfect place for you to cozy up while watching a movie. The Melrose Rooftop Theatre, with its comfy bean bags, state-of-the-art snacks and LA skyline view is a truly special way to watch a film in West Hollywood. Seconding that rooftop delight is a movie picnic with Cinespia! Settle down with a community of movie lovers at the Hollywood Forever cemetery for a picnic with some good bites, the outdoor breeze and a perfect suspenseful movie. At this huge movie screening picnic, you can enjoy some classics at the resting place of some Hollywood icons, snap some photos at a photo booth and more. Our UV staff loves to settle on the large lawn and watch a cult classic here during the summer months.

Regency Village Theatre, Westwood
As an old Hollywood romantic, I simply had to include one of the most iconic theaters in Los Angeles. In the heart of Westwood, this movie theater is clearly identifiable with its large illuminated spire. It has made its star appearance in a variety of films, including “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” and it is a popular place for movie premiere showings. This theater is where all the Westside Angelinos of the ’70s used to settle down and watch a great movie, so it is full of that old Hollywood nostalgia that is certainly missing in some of today’s theaters. Not only that, but the theater itself is so grand with an expansive screen and speakers so loud that it is easy to get lost in any film there. I highly recommend a visit to one of LA’s best.

While this list is packed with a lot of LA’s greatest theaters, there are certainly more unique places to experience cinema at its finest. The world of movie-watching in LA seemingly knows no bounds, so go out and explore it while these hidden gems still exist. Have fun watching!