4 romantic movies for Valentine’s Day

“The Princess Bride.” (Courtesy of 20th Century Fox)

What better way to kick off your Valentine’s Day than with a romance movie marathon? Here are our top picks for romance of all types to watch throughout the Valentine’s Day season.

“Pride and Prejudice” (with Keira Knightley)

“Pride and Prejudice” is the perfect movie for when you’re feeling lonely on Valentine’s Day. It follows the romance of Elizabeth Bennet (Keira Knightley) and Mr. Darcy (Matthew Macfadyen) and is set in the English countryside during the 19th century. This movie is full of emotional love confessions and gorgeous scenery that completely engulfs you into the world of Jane Austen. If I were living in the 1800s, I would definitely make this book my entire personality! So, thanks to Jane Austen for creating what I consider the best enemies-to-lovers romance out there.

“10 Things I Hate About You”

Like a lot of modern-day movies, “10 Things I Hate About You,” starring Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger, is based on Shakespeare. This movie has everything one could hope for in a Valentine’s Day movie, namely, romance and exquisite costume design. Although their relationship originally starts as a way for one of the characters to get some extra cash, heartthrob Patrick Verona (Ledger) quickly falls in love with the laser-focused Kat Stratford (Stiles). The 1999 cult classic is definitely one for the books, encapsulating all you need in an entertaining movie. If you’re bored on a Friday night, “10 Things I Hate about You” is the best way to start your weekend off right. 

“Clueless”

Placing a modern twist on Jane Austen’s beloved “Emma,” “Clueless” follows the story of Cher Horwitz, a match-maker aficionado with enviable outfits and questionable driving abilities. After setting up her crabby professor, Cher endeavors to help those around her find love, while sheswears off all highschool boys for herself (as if!). Yet, the single life is not for Cher, and throughout the course of “Clueless,” viewers watch as Cher begins to find love herself – even if it’s in the most unlikely of places. Starring Alicia Silverstone and Paul Rudd, this rom-com classic is the perfect movie to watch around Valentine’s day.

“The Princess Bride”

If you’re not a fan of heavy romance, “The Princess Bride” is the movie for you. With a mixture of fencing, comedy and true love, “The Princess Bride” is the perfect balance  of rom-com and adventure. The movie follows Buttercup, a farm girl turned princess whose true love was killed by the Dread Pirate Roberts. Stuck in the castle’s loveless grounds, everything changes when Buttercup is kidnapped by Vizzini, Fezzik and Inigo Montoya. Brimming with heartbreak and emotion, “The Princess Bride” is a cinema classic that will go down in history.

Whether you’re single, taken or crushing, these movies will get you into the Valentine’s Day spirit this February. So, what are you waiting for? Grab some chocolates and press play on these timeless Valentine’s Day classics!