Top 5 romantic comedies to watch

I’ve been an avid romantic comedy watcher for as long as I can remember. More often than not, I find myself searching for a rom-com that aligns with the weather, season or my current state of mind. Whether or not this is the best coping strategy is up to you to decide, but in the event that you find yourself perusing Netflix for the perfect rainy-day romance or summer love story, this guide to the top romantic comedies is the ultimate tool to have in your back pocket.

1. “10 Things I Hate About You” 

This movie is the quintessential high school drama. It draws on beloved tropes like the Bet and the enemies-to-lovers romance and ties it all up in a package with the perfect dash of sisterly love. And, not to mention, it stars one of the most iconic female rom-com protagonists of all time. Kat Stratford is an ex-queen bee who is anti all-things popular and superficial. Her sister Bianca Stratford is everything she’s not, right down to the floral sundress. Neither sister is allowed to date, but when their father issues an ultimatum — Bianca can date when Kat does — Bianca’s many admirers go to extreme lengths to find Kat a suitor who can handle her fiery spirit. On those final days of summer, or when that second-semester-slump hits, watching “10 Things I Hate About You” is a great way to not only fall in love with Heath Ledger but also with high school.

2. “Four Weddings and a Funeral” 

For a more classic pick, “Four Weddings and a Funeral” is the healthy dose of young Hugh Grant wearing glasses you didn’t know you needed. Don’t let the word “classic” fool you—this rom-com is anything but. With an impromptu death, a love interest who is seemingly uninterested in our leading man and both protagonists ending up opposite other people at the altar, “Four Weddings and a Funeral” will keep you guessing. And yet, it’s still packed with rom-com cliches like romantic meet-cutes and love confessions in the rain. Whenever you feel like American rom-coms aren’t cutting it, “Four Weddings and a Funeral” will deliver the perfect star-crossed lovers story in a British accent.

3. “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days”

If the two protagonists named Andie Anderson and Benjamin Barry don’t capture this movie’s pure magic, maybe young Matthew McConaughey will. Andie works at a fashion magazine, but like so many female rom-com leads, she can’t help but want more. Ben is a hotshot advertising executive looking to step out of his beer and sports-heavy comfort zone and into the world of luxury jewelry marketing. When Andie is assigned to write a piece about the don’ts of dating and Ben is challenged to make a woman fall in love with him to prove he can handle a luxury campaign, Ben’s workplace rivals decide to play matchmaker. This rom-com is the sleepover movie to end all sleepover movies and never fails to satisfy a binge craving. 

4. “You’ve Got Mail”

Another classic, “You’ve Got Mail” is the wholesome story of an independent bookstore owner and a mega bookstore owner who overcome their differences via email. Kathleen Kelly, the owner of The Shop Around the Corner, harbors a not-so-secret resentment for Joe Fox and his association with the bookstore chain, Fox Books. The two are constantly at odds, a rivalry that isn’t helped by the fact that they live in the same neighborhood. Unbeknownst to both, the two have been maintaining anonymous email correspondence. “You’ve Got Mail” has no shortage of central park strolls and sun-dappled Upper West Side scenes, making it the ideal watch for a spring day.

5. “When Harry Met Sally …” 

Dare I say, the ultimate rom-com. “When Harry Met Sally” chronicles close friends Harry Burns and Sally Albright as they fall in and out of love. As Harry and Sally go from acquaintances to adversaries to friends to lovers over the course of 12 years, the seasons change with their relationship. Full of witty commentary, New Year’s Eve kisses, and an iconic diner scene (you’ll know it when you see it), “When Harry Met Sally” truly makes you believe in love. Although the plot is year-round, scenes of Central Park’s fall foliage and snowy streets in Manhattan make it the perfect movie to transition from fall to winter.