Marlborough’s Work Day

On Wednesday, December 11 students did not partake in any of their normal classes but were required to come to school for a study day. This day was called a “Work Day,” a day when students were be able to catch up with their studies, meet with teachers, take the PSATS, and do grade wide activities.

On December 11, each grade had different activities to do throughout different times in the day. For the 7th grade, students took the PSAT 8 test from the morning until lunch. From 1:00-2:00 all of the 7th grade participated in a wellness program. Then, from 2:00-3:00 they worked on the immigration projects that they have been working on in history classes throughout the first semester.

Emma Melville ‘25, a new 7th grade student who takes part in the Melodic Mustangs, the middle school choir said, “I’m excited to have a day to spend time on my work and spend time with my friends.”

For the 8th grade, students began their day by taking the PSAT 9 test from morning until lunch. The PSATS were held in classrooms as opposed to one enormous room, which was done in previous years, because that best resembles the conditions the students will be in when they take the actual SATs. After lunch from 1:00-2:00, the 8th graders worked on the projects they have been working on for the past semester in science. From 2:00-3:00 the 8th graders did the wellness activity as well.

The 9th graders had a fairly different schedule than the 7th and 8th graders. They began the morning from 9:15-10:30 with an activity called “speed dating.” Each student took around a minute and asked another student from the grade different questions about themselves. Then after a short break, from 10:45-11:30 students revealed to the rest of the grade the class song and worked on the presentation video. After lunch, the students had the remaining half of the day for studying. If any 9th grade student wished to leave school early, they could as long as they had confirmed with their parents and alerted Mr. Fitts beforehand.