Marlborough collaborates with LACES for the Middle School Performance Project

Marlborough and LACES students having fun on a zoom.

As Marlborough begins the second half of the spring semester, the preparations for the Middle School Performance Project are in full swing, as the show is set to take place on March 24th, 25th and 26th. This year’s show is planned to be pre recorded with the possibility of having one live element. However, the fact that the show will take place online is not the only difference from other years. This year, Marlborough will be collaborating on the Middle School Performance Project with students from LACES, an LAUSD magnet school. 

The theme of this year’s show is food and by collaborating with LACES the show gains an even more diverse look into food in different cultures. 

“It’s a lot of celebration of cultures and how food is something that really brings us together, and it’s something that we all have to do every single day, and it’s something that we all share no matter how different we are,” Kristi Schultz, one of the directors of the Middle School Performance Project said. 

This year’s show will be created entirely from scratch by the Marlborough and LACES students and their instructors. The process of creating an entire show, and performing it, is difficult, especially over Zoom. 

“It requires a lot of trust in the process and faith that the final product will make use of the time and work we are putting into rehearsals right now, brainstorming and playing around with various ideas,” Natalie ’24 said.

As practices for the show continue, the students and teachers will continue to work through the challenges that come with creating an original, virtual show. 

“Even though it’s difficult, I trust that the end result will be a great show!” Natalie ’24 said.