Vive la resistance!

A Marlborough student resisting. Illustration by Francesca ’25.

COVID-19 has posed a barrier on all kinds of social interactions, but as time passes, we are all finding ways to transition back into our ordinary routines. Activism is no exception.

Resistance still shines through COVID-19; just look at the events following the election results. As reported by CNN Politics, Biden supporters flooded the streets as they cheered for his historic win, honking horns, dancing, singing and marching. These celebrations were slightly offset by the Trump supporters rallying for justice in what they labeled a ‘fraudulent election,’ yet their frustration was drowned out by the relief from the rest of America. “Though masks were more visible on one particular Saturday as opposed to the other, it is telling that people have felt compelled to risk social interaction in a pandemic to resist/protest/celebrate so publicly,” Department Head of History and Social Sciences Jonathon Allen wrote in an email.

Similarly, hundreds of students have participated in the Black Lives Matter petitions, fighting to address the systemic issues that are prevalent in communities, worldwide. 

“I’m so proud of Marlborough students because they are astute and informed enough to understand the connection between power and oppression when they see it, both in their history lessons and in their own communities,” Allen wrote. 

By protesting for such meaningful change, the students have aided Marlborough in enacting fundamental shifts to resolve certain issues regarding racial inequality. Students, however, have taken their skills in political resistance and applied them to make change within school. 

Most recently, the 8th graders formed a petition in favor of extending the date of their upcoming physics test. Both Georgia ‘25 and Dinah ‘25 agreed that while the teachers did explain the concepts well, the limitations caused by COVID-19, particularly through online learning, prevented them from fully understanding the topics. Although they managed to get many students to sign, the teachers ultimately decided to thoroughly review each concept over the coming week. While the petition may not have had the desired effect, the 8th grader’s resistance still made an effective change by allowing for an alternative solution, which was a week-long review.

“I encourage students to continue their quest in getting involved in issues that matter deeply to them. The youth, in particular, carry such power when they come together in ways that are thoughtful, strategic, measured and goal-oriented,” Allen wrote.

While it is important to voice your opinions, Allen warns that given the contagion of COVID-19, students are advised to resist wisely, making sure to follow the safety regulations implemented to protect us from the virus.

Vive la resistance!