11th grade chooses class charity

Photo by Flickr user "The City Project"
Photo by Flickr user “The City Project”

On Oct 20, 2015 the junior class voted on their class charity, deciding on Homeboy Industries. The election included many viable options, including Nica Fund and Pablove, but Homeboy’s mission really resonated with a lot of the class because many class member had visited Homeboy in the beginning of the year.

According to their website, “Homeboy Industries provides hope, training, and support to formerly gang-involved and previously incarcerated men and women allowing them to redirect their lives and become contributing members of our community.” The charity works with more than 10,000 former gang members in an attempt to make a “positive change.” Alden ‘17 introduced the charity into the class vote and even suggested using Homeboy’s silk-screening facilities to make the Junior class shirts.  

The Class of 2017 is excited to begin work with Homeboy, including Class President Alli ‘17, who is thrilled with the decision.

“It’s so important to give back to the community and I’m so thrilled that our class voted on Homeboy. It’s such a wonderful charity that supports people in need,” Alli said.

The class plans to raise money for the charity at the annual celebration WinterFest.