Four teachers leave school

Students and faculty say goodbye to four teachers who will not return next year.

Science instructors Sean Fitts and Amaria Parker and English and journalism instructor Mark Krewatch are all moving to be closer to family, and English teacher Amy Walia-Fazio is taking to time to be with her newly born first child.

Fitts will be moving to Illinois to be closer to his wife’s family. Next fall, he will teach a range of science and math classes at Eureka College and Illinois Central. Going back and forth between the two colleges is something Fitts has done before. Although Fitts has only been at Marlborough for three years, he has left a great impression.

“It felt like I had been here for years…like a perfect pair of old Levi’s,” said Fitts.

Parker, who welcomed her second child, Elijah, in June, will be moving back to Colorado. She will continue to teach middle school science in Denver. Parker’s decision to leave came partially from a desire to have her kids grow up near her family, especially their grandparents, as well as to leave the “crazy” Los Angeles atmosphere.

“I have enjoyed every minute of my time here, and I am truly sad to be leaving. I wish I could pack Marlborough up and bring it with me,” said Parker.

Minna Leigh from Calmont School in Calabasas and Andrew Witman from Archimedes Academy of Math and Science, in the Bronx, will fill the openings in the science department.

Walia-Fazio had her son, Maximilian, in April. Unlike the other teachers who are leaving, she will take a break from teaching for a time. After teaching at Marlborough for seven years, the decision to leave wasn’t easy, but had to be made, said Walia-Fazio.

“My decision to say goodbye to Marlborough was very difficult because I love the girls and the community, but I’m very excited about being a mommy!” said Walia-Fazio.

English instructor Brett Quimby, who was first hired as a history substitute while Helen Mendoza was on maternity leave earlier this year, will now replace Walia-Fazio.

Krewatch and his wife, who had their second child, Maeve, in December, will be moving to Chicago, his wife’s hometown, at the end of this year. They decided to move due to their desire to be closer to family, and “living in Los Angeles, thousands of miles away from home, just wasn’t making sense,” he said.

Krewatch will continue teaching English at the University of Chicago Lab Schools to freshman and sophomores. University of Chicago Lab Schools is a prep school run through the University of Chicago that mainly caters to the children of the professors and faculty there.

“What I will miss more than anything else is being part of the newspaper. Watching the students grow is amazing and fulfilling,” said Krewatch.

Amy Corso, who has been an English teacher at Rocky Hill School in Rhode Island, will replace Krewatch next year.