Libby named Spotlight semifinalist

Libby ’11, a semifinalist for the Music Center Spotlight Awards, finished in the top 15 of the 700 competing students but will not move any further in the awards.

Libby was also a Silver Key winner in the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. Both competitions recognized her for the same photograph, “HalfDome,” which was taken in front of the Broad Art Building at UCLA. Stein learned of her status at a gallery opening at the Armory Center for Arts in Pasadena March 20.

The Scholastic Art and Writing Awards as well as the Music Center Spotlight Awards remain two of the most notable competitions for top artists in the region.

Libby is excited about her win, having beaten out hundreds of submissions from around Southern California. Libby said the process of choosing which photo to submit wasn’t difficult.

“I literally spent a few minutes going through my photo and then selected the one I thought was most interesting and unique,” she said.

Libby’s portfolio showcases places she likes to go to, including the Griffith Observatory, Washington State, and the Rhode Island School of Design, since she likes to search for images.

“I like spontaneous art. I don’t like creating images. I just drive around and see what I can find,” Libby said.

Visual arts instructor Judith Tanzman said Libby has a strong portfolio.

“She approaches her work with an open mind and the ability to take risks with new ideas and processes,” she said.

A passionate artist, Libby began taking photography in the ninth grade.  Her older brother introduced her to the form, and Libby is fascinated with what you can do with photography.

“I’m like a science nerd so I like the fact that [photography] involves science and art because of the chemical process of developing photos,” Libby said.

She has taken every photography class offered except for AP Studio Art, which she plans to take next year. Photography has been at the forefront of her Marlborough career, but Libby said she’s always been interested in many different art forms.

“Although I love photography, I am also a performing artist,” Libby said.

Now dancing seriously at the Debbie Allen Dance Academy since 2004, Libby said that she has been dancing her whole life.

“I take about 16 hours of classes every week in styles varying from ballet, to African, to Dunham to modern,” she said, adding that “both visual arts and performing arts really define me as a person.”