Community In-Brief

Students awarded for writing and art

Three seniors received regional writing awards for their writing pieces. Seanie won the Gold Key for Short Story. Seanie’s Gold Key piece, the highest level of achievement on the regional level, was forwarded to New York City for national adjudication. Hannah won the Silver Key for Portfolio Work, and Jasmin won the Honorable Mention for Personal Essay/Memoir and Silver Key for Persuasive Essay.

Five juniors received regional recognition and awards for their various visual art pieces.  Julia won for her painting piece, while Laura and Shari both received the Gold Key for their jewelry pieces. Bo and Libby both received the Silver Key award for their photography.

Julie and Cami

School website gets a makeover

Due to informational inefficiencies on the old school website, Associate Director of Communications Olivia Haas, along with Head of School Barbara Wagner, Director of Academic and Administrative Technology Stuart Posin, and website design company Whipple Hill recreated the homepage.

Haas believed that the old homepage did not have enough information on it to truly represent the school.

“The main problem with the website was there was just photos and nothing to draw people in,” Hass said. “We need the website to reflect different aspects of the school such as academia, athletics, community service.”

Haas also noted that the website is designed to reflect what is most important to Marlborough girls—friendship.

The new homepage is currently up and running with new pictures and quotes.

Rosie

AACE Dance supports Haiti Relief

All-school council and the African American Cultural Exchange club (AACE) joined forces to host the annual AACE dance, raising over $2,400 for the relief work of Partners in Health in Haiti.

Over 300 high school students from public and private schools from the Los Angeles area paid $7 to dance to DJ Jedi in Caswell Hall Friday night, Feb. 26. In addition, on the day of the dance, Marlborough students were allowed to wear red or blue shirts, the colors of the Haitian flag, if they donated $1 to the relief effort.

In accordance with the school’s ongoing “green” efforts, dance organizers stamped students’ hands instead of using paper tickets, and the decorations, such as lanterns and Christmas lights, were re-usable.

Madeline