E&A In-Brief

Taylor Harvey makes it to the semifinals for the Spotlight Awards

Taylor Harvey ’10 is one of the semifinalists for the Music Center Spotlight Awards for performing arts in the non-classical voice category.

Harvey called the process hectic, because the day of her finalists audition was also on Jan. 24, when she was rehearsing for her performance at the Grammy after-party.

Harvey was happy with the experience, even if it ended a little early.

“I was really excited just to make it that far,” said Harvey.

Harvey joked that another performer who didn’t make the finals was singer and songwriter Josh Groban, so Harvey was not discouraged by the results.

For making it to that level of the competition, she will be awarded $150.

Auditions were held from October to December, and the semifinals and master classes spanned from January to March.

– Cami ‘10

Students debut art for  Invitational Art Exhibit in Seaver

Twelve middle and high schools from all over Los Angeles will show work in the Seaver Gallery for the invitational art exhibition.

Up to 11 pieces were sent from each school including 2-D, video, sculpture, and ceramic. Each school selects the best of it’s own work.

“It’s hard for them to be their own jury and make the difficult decision about what artwork is ultimately sent to us to display,” visual arts instructor Chelsea Dean said.

Dean said the main difference between this show and the last one is the amount of experience the new artists have.

“Our last show featured five professional artists and now we’re showing seventh to twelfth grade level work,” she said.

The opening reception will take place on Feb. 25 from 3:00-6:00 pm. The show is running from Feb. 22 to March 19 in the Seaver Gallery.

The annual spring art show will be the next opening exhibit.

Brooke ‘11

The Edge journal looks for submissions

The Edge, Marlborough’s student-run literary journal, is accepting submissions of any kind – fiction, nonfiction, poetry, photography, and all printable artwork – until Friday, March 12. Submissions can be sent to [email protected].

-Sophie