How Marlborough’s traditions are changing throughout the COVID-19 pandemic

Photo by Clara Torrence

This year Pumpkin Day became Pumpkin Week due to school being online. Some of the Pumpkin Week activities included movie nights, costume contests and a pumpkin carving contest. 

Director of Student Life, Brett Quimby, helped plan the week. He wanted to rework Pumpkin Day, so it was a fun event, even though it was online. 

“The biggest thing was because it was virtual and it was a time for people to get together, …people have more opportunity to interact with people in other grades and classes,” Quimby said. 

This year Pumpkin Week had multiple activities for students, in order to make up for the lack of an in-person parade. This includes a Jack-o’-Lantern competition, screenings of halloween-themed movies and series, and costume contests with various different categories. The categories for the costume contest were scariest/spookiest costume, most DIY costume, best throwback costume and best group costume. Each contest was held at a separate lunch period. 

Everette ‘26 was a member from the winning group, in which they all dressed as Harry Potter characters. 

“I loved the costume contest because it was a fun way to express yourself on Zoom and it involved a lot of creativity,” Everette said. 

Despite being online, Everette enjoyed the contest. 

“And last, but not least, the costume contest was the best!” she said. 

Since Pumpkin Week has ended, both students and faculty are thinking about what the future of holidays online will look like, and how Pumpkin Day or Pumpkin Week will look next year. 

“I really enjoyed Pumpkin Week, and I would love to do it again next year. I think that if we are in person next year, it could be much more enjoyable as well,” Mila ‘26 said. 

Furthermore, Quimby hopes Pumpkin Week will help with the planning and execution of future events and traditions. 

“With some of the traditions we are reimagining them,” Quimby said. “For the tenth graders, they did not have a pin ceremony because that was when COVID-19 began. Now, they are going to have a pin ceremony. We will use what we learn from Pumpkin Day to help for future events.”