Grandparents and Special Friends Day

Bonding Time with Loved Ones On Campus

The Friday before Thanksgiving break was one of those days when the Marlborough campus seemed more busy and bustling than usual. In addition to students, there were more adults, even some senior citizens, who came to school that day. 

On November 22, Marlborough hosted Grandparents and Special Friends Day, which is a tradition that has been going on for more than 15 years. Guests were invited by students and were able to experience what life is like as a Marlborough student. As Jeanette Woo Chitjian, the Director of Admissions, said, “this day is an opportunity for students to share the Marlborough community outside of campus to extended community members.” Grandparents, siblings, cousins, godparents, and special friends were all included in the group of guests.

This year’s Grandparents and Special Friends Day was a bit different from the ones in the past. In previous years, Dr. Sands and the All-School Council shared a presentation to the large audience during Community Time. This year, with Heather Bullock, the Donor Relations Manager, in charge of this special event, students’ work was presented during Community Time. Presentations of student work replaced the activities done in previous years. Bullock said it “livened up” the atmosphere. 

In Caswell Hall, students in the performing arts department showcased pieces they had been working on since the beginning of the year. Two students from instrumental ensemble performed a piece, and the chamber choir sang two songs. In addition, a scene from the musical production Legally Blonde and two dance performances were shown to the audience of guests. In the CEI, the robotics team showed their audience a live scrimmage. Katie Scoles-Bran ‘23 compared this year to last year’s Grandparents and Special Friends Day. 

“The smaller performances this year were better because we got to see more,” Katie Scoles-Bran ‘23 said.

In addition to presentations, guests acted as a shadow of their host in their D Period class. Students who had a free period during this time were able to give a tour of Marlborough to their guests. For students who didn’t invite anyone, they continued to go to classes. However, they greeted their friends’ grandparents and special friends.