Beauty with Becca: What is Beauty?

What is beauty? Is it caking on makeup to impress your date? Dressing to the 9s? Is beauty a freshly manicured hand, or walking with rigid posture? Is it weighing under 115 lbs, or having long legs? Can you be smart and be pretty? Is confidence beauty?

According to the Cambridge Dictionary, beauty is defined as “an attractive appearance.” However, I believe that being beautiful includes so much more than just being physically appealing. 

Beauty is a combination of qualities, but most importantly, I believe that beauty radiates with confidence in one’s self. 

Though it’s cliche, acknowledging the inner beauty inside of each of us really is the first step to self-love. After all, we should be grateful for all that our bodies allow us to do, from morning runs to afternoon naps. Our bodies are working every second of every minute of every day, and despite what they may look like on the outside, they are what allows us to lead the incredible lives that we do.

In our social-media amplified society, we often find ourselves surrounded by the ideals of our society. From celebrities to friends, it can be so easy to feel less beautiful than the people around us; I often find myself wandering down this path of jealousy and longing. But I can’t help but wonder: am I the only one who doesn’t feel comfortable in their own skin?

To my surprise, I was not the only one who didn’t feel beautiful. According to a survey by the company Dove, only 4% of women consider themselves beautiful. Another survey by Women’s Health Magazine shows that 78% of women do not feel comfortable in their own bodies. It is clear to all that this lack of confidence in one’s beauty is a societal issue that affects almost all women and girls. However, this is nothing new. For centuries, women have been objectified by men and other women! The constant struggle to look pretty has been passed down from generation to generation. So, how do we stop this problem, and build each other up?

I would be naive to think that I could single-handedly stitch together this deep cut in our society. However, I do believe that I can make a difference, though it may be small. The way to fix this issue is to build each other up by discussing our insecurities and affirming each other. As I said before, beauty radiates with confidence, so I am committing my articles to just that; building positivity and dissolving the stigmas around beauty standards. Beauty is the strength that we support each other with, woman to woman, girl to girl.