The Art of the Candy Trade

Halloween candy
Photo by Lilia ’15

Let’s face it; everyone will be out trick-or-treating on Halloween night, especially the seniors and juniors. Trick-or-treating used to be just a fun pastime for you and your friends to get free candy together, but one Halloween tradition has transformed into a much larger and sneakier phenomenon. As you get older, you know what candy you want, and you know you want a lot of it, so deploy the following techniques in order to persuade your friends to trade with you at the end of the night. I have gathered the perfect candy rhetoric so that you can get the ideal combination of candy.

Step 1: Figure out what kind of candy you want an abundance of. Choose 5-7 candies to focus on getting throughout the evening.

Step 2: Get the trading candy. Pick out the candy that your best friend loves. Are you allergic to something that can be put in candy? Good. Collect some of those, because then you can guilt-trip your friends at the end of the night into trading with you.

Step 3: Game time. During the actual trading, put your candy into the following piles:

– Keep: Don’t let anyone take them, except if you’re going super meta and want to play hard to get in order to receive a higher bid.

– Trade: Where you put the allergy-laden candy that your BFF loves.

– Free: This is the place for nasty candy.

Step 4: Convince your friends to trade. Keep in mind the size and quality of each piece of candy in order to make the trades equal, but also don’t give more than five pieces of your candy for one of theirs. An example of an equal trade might be two jolly ranchers for an M&M mini-packet.

Step 5: Enjoy your new abundance of deliciousness.