Regional Studies Video Chat with Egyptians

The students in the Regional Studies course video chat with students from the Oasis School, a high school in Cairo, Egypt. Photo by Shauna Callahan.

On Monday Feb.4, a group of ten Marlborough seniors in this semester’s Regional Studies course, which covers United States foreign policy with the Middle East since 1945 and is taught by history and social sciences instructor Mike Rindge, participated in the first of five scheduled teleconferencing sessions with the Oasis School, a high school in Cairo, Egypt.

The Regional Studies class came in contact with the Oasis School through the Global Nomads organization. Rindge said the purpose of these teleconferencing sessions is “to help foster cross cultural dialogue and understanding with students from the US and the Middle East.”

In these sessions, Marlborough and Oasis school students explore each other’s cultures, current political situations and life experiences. “I was surprised how many similarities we share in our after school activities and even TV shows. Who knew 90210 would make it in Egypt?” said Kasey ’13, a Regional Studies student.

The students will also be working on a collaborative project to examine cultural stereotypes that people in the Middle East and US have about each other.