Athletic Dept. Celebrates Fitness Week

Sophie '14 and Kathryn '14 show off their lacrosse skills on the field during Fitness Week. Photo by Suhuana
Sophie ’14 and Kathryn ’14 show off their lacrosse skills on the field during Fitness Week. Photo by Suhuana

Beginning Jan. 28, Marlborough celebrated its annual Fitness Week  with athletic games on Booth Field at lunch. Fitness Week is part of a larger, global initiative to spread athletic awareness, although the event is recognized at different times of year, depending on the location.

The School’s main goal of Fitness Week was to encourage healthy eating and exercise habits.

“We wanted everyone in the Marlborough community to have an opportunity to come together and exercise, while having fun,” explained 10th Grade Athletics Representative Lisa ’15.

The week was supposed to begin with a game of capture the flag during Monday’s lunch period, but the festivities were cancelled due to unforeseen weather conditions. The rest of the week was filled with activities including ultimate frisbee, flag football, lacrosse and kickball. Students from all grades and many teachers brought their competitive attitudes to the field.

“[Performing arts instructor Doug] Lowry recruited me and at [theatre] rehearsal on the Saturday before Fitness Week. He taught me plays so I could play flag football,” Rachel ’15 said.

Overall, the week was a huge success, and the Athletics Department hopes that these events provided girls with the encouragement and motivation to exercise and stay healthy.