Middle School and Upper School Students Take Part in the Annual Winter Art Show

The Annual Winter Art Show, which contains and celebrates work done by first semester art students from the Middle and Upper Schools, took place in Seaver Gallery from Nov. 12 through Dec. 7.

Every Middle School student who is taking a fall semester of art was required to have a piece in the show. Visual Arts instructor Dean said that she thinks it is good to require students to put in a piece so that everyone’s art will be on display.

“I think there’s some students who would probably be hesitant to submit a piece of work if it were just optional, but I think it’s great for everybody to have an opportunity to do it and see their artwork hanging on the walls,” she said.

Some students, however, said they  thought it would be more reasonable for participation to not be mandatory.

“I think people should choose [whether to participate],” Julie ’18 said.

Jewelry from Head of the Visual Arts Department Gina Woodruff’s Advanced Metals class sat in glass display cases on wooden stands around the edge of Seaver Gallery. The jewelry was all made of sterling silver, and two pairs of earrings, made by Eliza ’13 and Charlotte ’15, had lapis cabochons on them. Maddy’15 also used a pyrite cabochon on her sterling silver pendent.

Also on display in one of the cases was a wire sculpture made of sterling silver, copper and crystal beads, made by Adi ’14.

The ceramic pieces stood on wooden stands along the edges of the gallery. The earthenware projects included several bowls and plates and two vases.

One vase, made by Lindsay ’14, was made with incising and an overglaze. The vase was built in a twisting rectangle, with each of the four sides representing a season.

Hanging on the walls were the photographs, drawings and paintings. The drawings that covered the walls included oil pastels, chalk pastels, pencils, colored pencils and crayons.

A wide variety of photographs were on display; some were in color, but many students also chose to use only black and white. Some photographs had been taken to illustrate shape, color or texture.

Many students said they had been looking forward to the art show.

“I am so excited to have one of my art pieces in the show!” Caelan’18, said.

Johnston submitted a print made in black ink she made in Discovery, the required 7th Grade class that rotates through a number of Visual and Performing Arts options.

“I really love all the projects that we’ve been doing [in Discovery] and it’s been a lot of fun, so I can’t wait to have everyone see my work,” she said. T