Chemistry Classes Create Moles

“Coca Mole-a” by Sydney ’14 was voted most creative mole by the Chemistry teachers. Photo by Alex ’14.

Chemistry students celebrated Mole Day on Oct. 23 from 6:02 a.m. to 6:02 p.m. by creating stuffed animal moles with names were based on puns to honor physicist Amedeo Avogadro, who determined a mole, also known as Avogadro’s number, to be worth 6.02 x 1023.

One mole is the mass in grams that is equal to the atomic mass of a single molecule. Every student in Chemistry was required to bring in a mole (the animal) that was hand-sewn or stapled. Science instructors Mark Guevin and Elizabeth Ashforth judged the moles and then awarded a five-dollar Starbucks gift card to the most creative mole in each class period. Some of the moles that won were the Sumole wrestler, Coca Molea, Smolf (smurf), the little Molemaid and wack-a-mole.

Sammi ’15 won the B period Chemistry class’ Mole Day competition  with her “Smolf” made out of blue felt and sporting a white hat just like a smurf. “I actually couldn’t think of any ideas for my mole, so I watched a little bit of TV and that is when I got the idea!” Sammi said.