Valentine’s Day from the Marlborough POV

The story of St. Valentine is “cute and sentimental,” according to Taylor ’14. Claudius, the emperor of Rome, was having a hard time getting soldiers to join his army because they did not want to leave their wives and children, so he made marriages illegal. Most people, including the minister Valentine, found this law cruel and kept performing marriage ceremonies in secret. Valentine was eventually caught and thrown in jail, where he fell in love with a young girl. On his execution day he wrote her a letter and signed it, “From your Valentine,” starting the custom of exchanging love messages on Valentine’s Day.

Marlborough traditionally lets students buy candy grams for $1 and send them to their friends. The “hot” pictures of teen heartthrobs Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift on posters advertising the candy grams persuaded the student body to buy candy grams to show their friends that they are loved.

Kyla ’14 says she likes Valentine’s Day.

“It’s a good day just to celebrate love in every way; whether it be friendship or family or relationships,” she said. “It’s just a good way to show them that you care for them and love them. Plus you get candy!”

Others, however, said they feel that Valentine’s Day is only a meaningful day when you have someone you are in love with to spend it with. According to Margaret ‘14, even if you do not have a valentine, “Valentine’s Day is good for chocolate.”