Tributes aim to win

Marlborough’s reinvented Hunger Games took place on Jan. 31 and featured an elaborate series of games, culminating in a game of Human Battleship between the tributes from Districts 6 and 11. A total of 16 tributes (eight from each district) took turns shooting Nerf arrows at each other to “kill,” or eliminate, as many tributes from the other district as possible before the allotted time ran out.

In the end, District 6 was victorious, receiving a week of free dress as a prize.

“I was ecstatic because I just wanted the feel of winning,” said Maya  ’16, a District 6 tribute. “I didn’t really care about the free dress.”

Tributes from both districts said they were nervous and excited during Human Battleship. The girls had the chance to practice their bow and arrow skills briefly before they entered the competition, so when they were competing they knew exactly what they were supposed to do.

Both Districts were intent on winning, mostly for bragging rights. However, the reward of not having to wear the uniform for a week was also appreciated.

“Free dress is always loved,” said Alex  ’14, a District 11 tribute.

It wasn’t only the tributes who were excited though. Many girls didn’t feel up to the challenge of being a tribute but still felt very competitive while watching the game.

“It was really exciting, but then I saw we were running out of time and the other team was stalling,” Monica ’16 of District 11 said. “We were losing, so I was getting anxious. I just felt like running out of the room screaming.”

Aside from Human Battleship, most of the other challenging and competitive games throughout the day seemed to have been enjoyed by most girls. However, a few games didn’t seem as fun.

“I didn’t like the ‘Taste Tester’ game because I got this really gross spicy Mexican candy,” Alex  ’16 said.

But the day wasn’t all about competition. There were also girls who were chosen to manage games so everything would run smoothly, including all members of the All- School and Grade Level Councils.

“[I was] disappointed at first that I couldn’t participate in a team and help them win, but when I found out about the responsibility I was given, I didn’t feel as bad,” game leader Natalie ’16 said.