Rock ‘n Rolling Middle Schoolers

photo by flickr user Seattle Municipal Archives

On October 1st, 2010, at 7:30 PM, many guests waited eagerly outside the gym to enter the 7th and 8th grade Rock n’Roll Dance. I felt a bit shy when I saw my guest, for he was dressed quite formally: not what I expected for a Rock n’ Roll Dance. He wore a dark suit, dark pants and Converse. I was wearing blue jeans and a white shirt with a gray teddy bear listening to music on an iPod. Our first step into the gym was exhilarating because there was a disco light pattern along the walls. Over five hundred guests piled in, filling the gym with excitement.

Students danced the night away to songs including pop favorites “Dynamite” by Taio Cruz, “I’ve Got a Feeling” by the Black Eyed Peas and “Baby” by Justin Bieber.  The memorable “Beat It” by Michael Jackson, and the renowned “Cha Cha Slide” by Mr. C were also played while everyone rocked out with groovy dance moves.  My guest kept ditching me and vice versa during each song because we needed some space to dance on our own. I’m not sure why, but it was really awkward to be with him at the dance.

As the Rock n’Roll dance was drawing to a close, there was a dance off. The winner was Michelle Chong, a 7th grade student from Marlborough. Her talent was amazing! She could have a wave travel through both arms without pausing and bob her head back and forth without moving the rest of her body. As for me, my guest and I seemed to have been distant, but we enjoyed our own dance styles as we partied with everyone else.

Click for photos and memories of the 7th and 8th grade dance