Put the spirit into Spirit Week

Walter

I’m begging you to dress up for Spirit Week next year. Within a school with uniforms, we must take full advantage of non-uniform days. It is much more fun coming to school and seeing people dressed up in Spirit Week regalia than the same old black-gray-white  uniforms. Spirit Week is by far my favorite Marlborough tradition, and as I have become increasingly hard-core with my costumes, I have fallen deeper in love with it.

My first Spirit Week began not with a bang, but a with murmur. During my freshman year over Zoom, the event was barely acknowledged. Yet, when Spirit Week rolled back around in my sophomore year, I was prepared. Upon learning the themes, I was excited and my costume ideas started flowing. However, I failed to fulfill every theme to the fullest.                      

I was disappointed in myself for this reason and vowed to have the most epic comeback the following year. So last year as I dominated with my costumes, I had much more fun dressing up as an 80-year-old man, a surfer and Ice Spice. 

As I think about next year’s Spirit Week, I am bubbling with second-hand excitement for all the new students who get to experience their first. If you are still hesitant to dress up, this is me hyping you up. I promise you that the more you embarrass yourself through your costumes, the more you will get out of this week. Speaking as the 12th Grade Environmental Representative, I also want to implore you all to reuse your own clothes to make your costume rather than buying new pieces.

Spirit Week is also your time to channel your creativity into something purposeful. Peace and love to our art classes but the legacy you leave on Spirit Week is debatably more important than any art piece you will make. My recommendation is to start cooking (thinking) up ideas the second you get the email about themes and guidelines. In the past, I have scheduled out an entire Saturday just for planning my outfits. I hope you all take my advice and have a spirited, costume-filled week.