Jessica Romero’s all-star impact on athletics

Assistant Athletic Director Jessica Romero passes a basketball around with Caroline ’28. Addison ’26 Staff Photographer

Assistant Athletic Director Jessica Romero has worked at Marlborough for two years, helping manage the Middle School Athletics Department. Her main duties include supporting athletes by completing game and practice schedules, checking in on each team and meeting with other coaches in the leagues.

Romero developed a love for sports at a young age. She played basketball throughout elementary and high school where she found her passion for the competitive spirit within the athletic atmosphere. 

“I feel like sports give a lot to everyone,” Romero said. “They are what bring people together to come watch and support. They give opportunities to, in some sense, forget what’s going on in your life and provide a sense of freedom.” 

While attending college, Romero majored in kinesiology, the study of the mechanics of body movement, and minored in psychology. These two fields allowed Romero to connect her passion for athletics with her fondness of helping others in order to combat the mental challenges that sports may create. 

While in college, Romero worked in a training facility to support athletes of all ages and skill levels, growing their comprehension of nutrition, dieting and navigating the weight room. From there, Romero worked in a sports psychology clinic, where athletes were able to work towards overcoming mental challenges and become more resilient to them. 

Once the COVID-19 pandemic hit, Romero realized she wanted to focus on being an asset to younger athletes, which led to her current position at Marlborough.

“Seeing that Marlborough is big on mental health and mental wellness and pushing the sports academic side of it, I just wanted to be a part of pushing that growth and pushing that right direction,” Romero said. 

While Romero creates schedules and supports athletes, she is also the direct contact for coaches of all sports and deals with any problem that may arise, like being available to coach whenever needed. Additionally, Romero organizes the three athletic recognition ceremonies each year. 

Romero works closely with the Athletics Council by attending their meetings each month and helping to plan events for the whole Marlborough community. Her favorite part of the job is working directly with students. 

“I love to watch athletes and students grow and excel in things that they love,” Romero said. “Whether they take the sport to the next level or not, it’s just about watching them go through adverse and challenging moments and overcoming them.”