Marlborough students’ guide to LA

Staff Illustrator Kaelen

By Juliana ’24, Katie ’24 and Riley ’23

With delicious food, unique locations and a diverse culture, Los Angeles has established itself as an iconic and beloved city. Living in LA and its surrounding areas has allowed Marlborough students to explore the wide variety of food and activities that the city has to offer. From South LA to the San Fernando Valley, from East LA to the beaches, Marlborough students have a selection of neighborhood favorites, hidden gems and iconic landmarks to recommend. 

West LA

The Win-Dow at American Beauty – 425 Rose Ave, Venice, CA 90291

The Win-Dow is a destination that serves homemade burgers, which Mabel ‘27 described as “one of the best burgers in LA.” While known for its burgers, this restaurant offers a selection of other meals, such as fried chicken sandwiches and grain bowls. According to many, Win-dow provides a community feeling as well as a good meal. 

Flower Child Café – 1332 2nd St, Santa Monica, CA 90401

Flower Child Cafe is a restaurant focused on serving healthy food made with fresh, local ingredients. The restaurant serves dishes ranging from avocado toast to salads. Known for its salads, bowls & wraps, Flower Child provides healthy and nutritious meals with different options of proteins. The café prides itself on cultivating a positive, peaceful environment perfect for enjoying one of their delicious meals.

Castle Rock Beach –  Los Angeles, CA 90272

Castle Rock Beach is an iconic beach and popular picnicking destination situated along the Pacific Coast Highway. This beach is the perfect place to relax, hang out and eat good food. Some people love this beach more than other beaches specifically because of its scenery.

“The view at this beach is gorgeous,” Violet ’23 said. “They have the most beautiful sunsets that look like they come out of a 60s psychedelic painting.” 

Beverly Hills and West Hollywood

Cha Cha Matcha  – 510 N Robertson Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90048

With a wide variety of matcha-based drinks and a trendy shop design, Cha Cha Matcha is a favorite of many Marlborough students. Not only does the café offer drinks ranging from a classic matcha to superfood lattes, but they also serve a selection of breakfast foods, such as vegan waffles. Cha Cha Matcha is also known for its aesthetic decor, with many locations perfect for taking cute pictures.

Central LA

The Last Bookstore – 453 South Spring Street Ground Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90013

Located in the heart of Downtown Los Angeles, the Last Bookstore is the largest new and used bookstore in California. This store is known for its unique architectural style, with book tunnels, “secret” passageways and various nooks and crannies to explore. The Last Bookstore not only offers a wide variety of books available to purchase, but also has a record store, comic book store, art studios and a yarn shop. 

Saint Vincent Court – St. Vincent Court, Los Angeles, CA, 90014 (accessible through a breezeway off the north side of 7th Street)

Established in 1957 in Downtown Los Angeles and named after St. Vincent College (now Loyola Marymount University), St. Vincent Court remains one of the city’s most charming lanes. Cobbled brick paving and colorful shopfronts set St. Vincent Court apart. Home to a multitude of cafés and Middle Eastern restaurants, St. Vincent Court provides visitors with a sense of reprise from the bustle of the city around them. 

Grand Central Market – 317 S Broadway, Los Angeles, CA, 90013

Another historic area in Downtown Los Angeles is Grand Central Market, founded in 1917. The market hosts food vendors, events, florists and coffee shops. The 40 stalls in Grand Central Market display products from a variety of vendors based in LA, existing as a testament to the diverse culture and cuisine of the city as a whole. 

Amoeba Music – 6200 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles, CA, 90028

PSA for every music lover: you need to visit Hollywood for Amoeba Music! As one of the world’s largest independent record stores, Amoeba is guaranteed to have a vinyl or CD that you will love. The shop also held live music performances before COVID-19 restrictions were implemented, but music fans can anticipate these shows returning in the near future, according to the shop. 

Yuca’s – 2056 Hillhurst Ave, Los Angeles, CA, 90027

Yuca’s, also known as “The Hut,” is a 10 foot by 10 foot restaurant located in Los Feliz. Converted from an outdoor shoe shine station in 1976 by “Mama” Socorro and Jaime Herrera, Yuca’s sells some of California’s best Mexican food. Yuca’s second location in Pasadena is larger. It serves the same delectable menu items, such as the Carne Asada Burrito and Cochinita Pibil Taco!

Sister Dumpling – 1032 Crenshaw Blvd, Unit B, Los Angeles, CA, 90019

Sister Dumpling serves a variety of “Dumpling cuisine,” as stated on their website. From dumplings (after which the restaurant is named) to one of Violet’s favorite rice bowls, fans of Korean food will not be disappointed. Stop by Crenshaw Boulevard for a meal you won’t forget!

Elysian Park – 929 Academy Road, Los Angeles, CA, 90012

Los Angeles is known for its exciting culture (from restaurants to celebrity sightings), yet many people discount the natural beauty of the city. Elysian Park, located near Dodger Stadium, immerses visitors in the overlooked beauty of the Californian hills. The park also has a hidden secret: visitors who hike to the top of Angeles Point may find a swing!

South LA

Alpine Village Market – 833 W Torrance Blvd, Torrance, CA 90502

Serving a multitude of European foods and products imported from all over the world, Alpine Village Market is a destination filled with dining, shopping and entertainment. This German village and market is most known for its old-world-charm atmosphere and its highly-rated food selection. Along with its popular food shop, the Alpine Village Market also houses many shops selling antiques, books, clothing, gifts and more. The Alpine Village also hosts an annual Oktoberfest celebration which has more than just beer, but traditional German food, live music and dancing.

“There’s so much variety in the selection of meats in the market, and you can venture out of your comfort zone and try new things as well,” Violet said. 

Sweet Red Peach – 1035 S Prairie Ave #2, Inglewood, CA 90301

Sweet Red Peach, a family-run bakery, offers a selection of homemade desserts, from custom-made cakes and cupcakes to pastries and many more. Prided for its welcoming atmosphere and handmade treats, the shop is considered to be not just a bakery but part of the Inglewood community.

Paramount Drive-in Theater – 7770 Rosecrans Ave, Paramount, CA 90723

Looking for the perfect 1950s movie experience? Paramount Drive-in Theater, one of the highest rated drive-in movie theaters in LA, provides a cozy atmosphere through its service, dining menu and movies that you can enjoy from the comfort of your car.

“Little India” in Artesia – Pioneer Boulevard between 183rd and 188th streets in Artesia, CA

As a favorite destination for many LA citizens, the area of “Little India” offers a multitude of activities embracing Indian culture, with over 100 restaurants, shops and locations to explore. Some popular destinations there include the Beauty Palace, a cosmetics and henna art store, Farm Fresh, a market for spices and Indian food, Jay Bharat, one of the most well-loved Indian restaurants in the “Little India” community.

San Fernando Valley

Beignet Box – 12265 Ventura Blvd, Studio City, CA 91604

Beignet Box makes both creamy coffee and delicious beignets, which are squares of fried dough sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar that are a New Orleans specialty. The architecture inspired by a traditional French cafe adds to the environment to make the experience even better! 

“Beignet box is a staple of Studio City because it has the cutest ambiance and the best beignets,” Novin ‘24 said. 

Yeastie Boys Ventura Place, Studio City, CA 91604(food truck) 

Unlike traditional bagel places, Yestie Boys travels on wheels! This bagel food truck has an expansive menu including an assortment of bagel options, such as the Cheddy Wap, Lox Deluxe and even PB and J on a blueberry bagel. These fun names and great flavors create an enjoyable experience. 

Pinz Bowling – 12655 Ventura Blvd, Studio City, CA 91604

The famous PINZ Bowling place is a unique bowling place due to its fun lighting and unique LA art.  Pinz Bowling creates a cool ambiance perfect for a fun bowling outing! Many Marlborough students who live in the valley love to go bowling at PINZ.

“Since I was little, I have been going to PINZ with my friends and family, and it never manages to disappoint,” Dylan ‘23 said. 

Fryman Hike – 3431 Fryman Rd, Studio City, CA 91604

With its picturesque views, the Fryman hike located off Laurel Canyon Blvd is the perfect hike to go on with a person of any age due to its lack of steepness and its short length. This mostly shaded, 2.6 mile hike offers a beautiful view of the entire San Fernando Valley. Some students have been going on this hike for years: 

“This hike is part of my childhood,” Christina ‘24 said. “I have been doing this hike with my family since I can remember and I have enjoyed it every single time.” 

Health Nut –  4550 Van Nuys Blvd #A1, Sherman Oaks, CA 91403

Looking for a good and healthy meal? Health Nut provides a great opportunity to eat healthily at an affordable price. Health Nut serves salads, sandwiches, lemonades and even has a popular special dressing. Health Nut not only has salads, but also offers special dishes like their spring rolls, which consist of an assortment of vegetables wrapped in a thin rice paper.   

Leo and Lily – 22420 Ventura Blvd, Woodland Hills, CA 91364

Leo and Lily is a restaurant with modern decoration that serves options for breakfast and lunch. This restaurant is known for its spectacular coffee and breakfast options that range from an Italian omlet to Cinnamon roll pancakes. With its wide range of options, there is something for everyone to enjoy at Leo and Lily! 

San Gabriel Valley 

Lunasia – 239 E Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91101 and 500 W Main St, Alhambra, CA 91801

Lusania is a Chinese restaurant that many people love, with locations in Pasadena and Alhambra. This restaurant is known for its authentic Chinese dishes and wide array of dim sum, a style of Cantonese food prepared as “small bites” and traditionally served with tea. 

East LA

Tierra Mia Coffee – 9220 Slauson Ave, Pico Rivera, CA 90660

Tierra Mia Coffee offers a wide selection of drinks, with options such as a horchata latté and a honey vanilla tea latté. This café is also known for its sweets, such as their trés leches muffin. 

Palos Verdes

Burattino Brick Oven Pizza – 29701 S Western Ave #103, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275

With many unique pizza dishes, such as Gochujang Chicken Pizza and Quattro Gusti Pizza, Burattino Pizza restaurant is an LA favorite! The pizza place not only serves a multitude of highly rated pizzas and other dishes, but also hosts weekly events like pizza taste testing, make-your-own pizza workshops, challenges, and more.