On the team, off the field

This winter sports season, students have found a new way to support and encourage Marlborough teams by providing help and spirit on the sidelines as team managers. The winter sports team managers, Georgie ‘22, Spencer ‘23, and Clara ‘24, have assisted the coaches and teams by keeping score during matches, bringing various snacks after games and helping in any way they can during practices, while also providing encouragement and support to the players. 

“Being able to offer my support and help was something that was important and something I was really willing to do,” basketball team manager Spencer ’23 said. 

The position as sports team manager allows these students to get involved in the school community while also giving them the chance to connect with the team and be part of another sport without necessarily needing to play. 

One of the waterpolo sports team managers, Clara ’24, talked about her time on the team and how being a sports team manager has provided her with the opportunity to continue contributing to the water polo team on the sidelines.

“I’ve been the sports manager since I decided Waterpolo wasn’t the sport for me, but I still liked a lot of the people on the team and the coaches, so I wanted to still be a part of it in some way,” Clara ’24 said. “I really like it, it’s a good way to support Marlborough teams and learn about a new sport as well.”

Many of the student sports team managers feel connected to the team and community, and believe the position has allowed them to support each other while also enjoying seeing teammates play throughout the sports season. Water Polo sport team manager Georgie ’22 explained her connection to the team.

“I love still being considered a part of the team, which is part of what I really wanted, and I also love that the team makes sure to include the team managers in things,” Georgie ’22 said. 

Similarly, Spencer ’23 talks about her experience supporting the team in games and her connection to the players.

“I enjoy it. I’m friends with a lot of people on the basketball team, so it allows me to get to hangout with them and get to really know a little bit more about another sport,” Spencer ’23 said. “I go to their games and just support them—just to talk to them and just be there and hangout and not be any other stressful piece.”