Great White, great restaurant

Ever since Great White opened on Larchmont on September 17th, 2021, I have been dying to try it. However, I never had the chance because it was always packed. So, I was strategic. I knew the mornings were always busy because of their amazing breakfast/brunch menu. I also knew people loved their lunch and dinner options, so those times didn’t seem right either. Thus, I’ve found the perfect time for Marlborough students to explore the renowned Great White menu: right after school. Whenever you have the occasional free afternoon after school (which I know is a rare occurrence for most), a great way to free your mind from all your necessary tasks, is to enjoy an outside table at Great White. I have tried some different items on the menu and compiled a list of dishes that I recommend you try to make the most of your Great White experience . Here are my ratings and recommendations. 

The Shaken Iced Latte 10/10

Always start off with a drink. The shaken iced latte has the perfect sweet to coffee ratio. At other places on Larchmont and in Los Angeles, the sweetness overpowers the coffee flavor and I feel like I’m drinking sweet milk. However, at Great White, it’s a different experience. I taste coffee. I taste vanilla. Combined, they make the perfect recipe for a mid-afternoon drink. The additional natural cocoa really adds to the taste. It’s subtle, yet the pure cocoa flavor comes through to make the shaken iced latte just a little more unique.  

Avocado dip 10/10 

Then, time to eat appetizers. The avocado dip is just simple guacamole but the flavor is truly exquisite. The additional fresh tomato, red onion, and aleppo pepper chunks combined make the perfect texture. The simple flavor of the taro chip allows the avocado dip to shine and enhance the appetizer as a whole. It doesn’t feel like I’m eating an unhealthy snack before my meal, but allows me to eat something nice and light before my main course.  

Crispy Brussels 6/10

When I saw brussel sprouts were on the menu, I knew I needed to try them. When I saw the description of “nuoc cham, cilantro, and sesame”  they looked like normal brussels sprouts, but after a few bites, I was mistaken. Nuoc cham is a mixture of water, sugar, lime juice and fish sauce. The keyword is fish. The nuoc cham sauce truly overpowered what looked like perfectly cooked brussels sprouts. They were crispy and tender and looked perfect. But every bite was a mystery. After the first bite, I thought they were going to be the best Brussels sprouts I’ve ever had; however, after a few more, the fishy taste took over the normal Brussel sprout flavor. They were okay but did not meet my expectations. 

Margarita Pizza 100/10

After telling people I was going to Great White, people told me I NEEDED to try the prosciutto and arugula pizza; however, when I got there and asked the waiter which pizza she liked better she told me that although she loves prosciutto pizzas, the tomato sauce and cheese made this margarita pizza slightly better. So, I decided to save the eight dollars and order what looked better to me anyway. And I agree with her. The tomato sauce and cheese complemented each other perfectly. When I took a bite into the pizza, I got a sense of true Italian flavor. It’s not greasy but has a saucy top paired with perfect thickness. Every bite seriously melts in your mouth and the crust has the ideal doughy center yet crusty outside. The margarita pizza is a must and the best thing on the menu I tried. 

Kale Pesto Pasta 7/10

As a pesto connoisseur, I knew I needed to try what sounded like the perfect pesto pasta. The presentation was great. The chunks of pistachio added to the texture of the dish while The lemon flavor added freshness.. However, it is also that lemony flavor that overtook the traditional pesto flavor. It felt as if I was eating a lemon pasta, with touches of pesto, rather than a traditional pesto pasta. 

I hope these reviews and ratings help you when you decide to explore the menu of Great White. The standout stars of my meal were h the Margherita Pizza, avocado dip, or the shaken iced latte. Hope this helped!