Record number of freshmen try out for soccer

The record turnout of freshmen trying out for the soccer team this year bought comfort and encouragement during tryouts. 

On Nov. 1 approximately 25 freshmen showed up for soccer tryouts, a much higher number than in previous years. In the 2018-2019 season, there were only seven freshmen, in 2019-2020 only 17 and in 2020-2021 only six. 

Before tryouts took place, Head Varsity Soccer Coach Carl Dickson held preseason practices in October every Wednesday. Approximately 45 players attended the practices and around half of those 45 players were from the freshmen class. Some 9th graders thought that a large number of underclassmen joining the team made starting less intimidating.  

“It made me less nervous because I knew that everybody was new like me,” Willow ‘25 said. 

Other freshman soccer players agreed they felt more bonded with the team because there were so many people in their grade. 

“I love having a bunch of my classmates around me because it creates a sense of community, and I feel very comfortable with all my friends surrounding me,” Tessa ‘25 said. 

As tryouts continued, freshmen started to integrate with the other athletes and did not just stick with their own grade level. 

“Currently we are seeing all the freshmen gather together, a few adjustments of forcing everyone to sit with each other and play on different teams has helped,” Dickson said. “Luckily our Marlborough community is small so the bonds formed pretty quick.”

Although freshmen stayed together they were still able to integrate with soccer players of different ages.

As a result, Willow said that after a hard week of tryouts she was ready for the season to begin and looking forward to the season ahead. 

“I am excited for the years to come and am ready to get started on the field,” Willow said.