Sports spectating becomes a reality

Due to the high number of COVID-19 cases at the beginning of the school year, Marlborough’s Athletic Department decided to prohibit spectators from watching fall sports. However, with COVID-19 case rates decreasing and more than 95% of the Marlborough community vaccinated, the Athletic Department began to increase the amount of spectators allowed into the gym. Starting on September 20, Marlborough students and faculty were able to watch games and later, two spectators per player were allowed. 

Spectators and players from the opposing team must either provide a negative COVID-19 test or have proof of vaccination in order to be let on campus. Furthermore, spectators must fill out the AUXS Safety form, which students complete daily, to be allowed onto Marlborough’s campus. 

With COVID-19 cases constantly fluctuating, School policy dictates that maintaining the health of the community is the number one priority and that precautions must be taken when allowing people from outside of the Marlborough community onto campus. The decision to limit spectators earlier in the year was made by Athletic Director Sheila Pauley who said it was a decision made to keep the Marlborough community safe and able to continue life on campus. 

“We don’t want school to get shut down due to an outbreak,” Pauley said. “So that is why we are going to start allowing spectators slowly.” 

Although teachers and students have been waiting to attend home games, players are equally excited to get more support from the sidelines and more Marlborough spirit. Varsity Volleyball allowed spectators during the last week of September for the first time this year. Varsity Volleyball team co-captain Maeve Loughran ‘22 is excited for more of the Marlborough community to come to home games to cheer and support the volleyball team. 

“The spirit at our home games once spectators were allowed again significantly increased, which positively affected our team’s energy,” Loughran said.

With the volleyball program competing against tough teams and having the varsity head coach leave on the first day of school, the team welcomes the support from the crowd during home games. Junior Varsity player Eloise Perfitt ‘24 thinks that having spectators at games helps keep the team motivated to perform well. 

“When spectators come to our games, it helps with our performance and keeps our team’s energy up during the game,” Eloise Perfitt. 

With COVID-19 regulations constantly changing in Los Angeles and Marlborough’s attempt to keep the community as safe and healthy as possible, the number of spectators is subject to change depending on the number of COVID-19 cases in Los Angeles. The Athletic Department is hopeful that home games for fall, winter and spring sports will be open to the Marlborough public and more spectators will be able to watch home games at Marlborough.