Fall Sports Have Returned

Photo from Hudl highlights of the Mustangs’ first game of the 2021 season versus La Cañada High School

After experiencing a whirlwind of change this past year as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, Marlborough fall sports are back in full swing for the 2021-2022 school year. The Athletics Department has been working hard by following both school and state protocols to provide student-athletes, staff and coaches with a healthy and safe season. This fall season, spectators at games are tentative. Potentially spectators will be allowed, but not currently.

To kick off this year’s fall sports season, student-athletes returned to campus in mid-July for pre-season tryouts. Additionally, volleyball and tennis programs have been back in action with training, while golf and cross country teams have been practicing since mid August. 

Team captains of Marlborough’s Varsity volleyball team, Ava and Maeve ’22 explain that returning to campus has not been without its difficulties. 

“I think that getting back into shape is going to be a big challenge at the beginning of fall sports since most of us have spent so much time at home,” Ava said. “Luckily we have Tyler to help us with our strength and conditioning so we will be ready for the season.” 

According to the Associate Athletic Director, Bridget Carlin, students have already been seeking out opportunities to utilize the school gym and athletic facilities in preparation for the season ahead. 

“We’ve seen many students taking advantage of the available time slots to workout in the fitness center this summer, including some of our lacrosse and softball players, swimmers and track & field athletes to name a few,” Carlin said. 

In addition to getting back into shape, student athletes have been finding ways to bond with their teammates.

“Despite having to wear masks and maintain more distance, we have been finding other ways to maintain our bond,” Emma ’22 said. “For example, each day of tennis practice we choose a different color to wear so that we all feel connected.” 

While student athletes are still adjusting to in person training, they are excited to be together in person again as a team.

“I am totally looking forward to seeing the new 9th graders competing and being a part of upper school athletics. Watching them become part of the team and finding themselves is really rewarding.” Emma said.