Waterpolo teams increase in size and success

Blanca ’20 making a pass in a home game.

The Varsity and JV Water Polo teams have had a successful start to the sea- son compared to last year, due to their strong improvement and the sport’s growing popularity within Marlborough. This season the Varsity team has a 2-3 record, already showing progress from last year’s 1-8 record.

“There will always be some losses, but this season I was able to play in my first ever winning water polo game, which was super exciting for me,” Varsity goalie Lucy ‘22 said.

Because water polo has become more popular in recent years, this year, for the first time since 2015, there are enough players to fill both a Varsity and a JV team.The two teams practice and play most of their games together.

Varsity Water Polo captains Annie ‘20 and Franny ‘21 have witnessed the program’s progress.

“We were pleasantly surprised when we got such a good turn out for try- outs,” Franny said. “We think it will be very helpful for the players who are on JV this year to have the chance to practice and improve before moving up to Varsity.”

The JV team had a sweeping victory over Marymount on Jan. 16, with an 11 to 1 score.

Another one of the water polo team’s successes of the season is the bond between the payers on both the Varsity and JV teams.

“I think we have a good team dynamic, which we definitely make one of our priorities.” Annie said. “It feels like we’re one big team.”

The teams foster strong relationships through team traditions and spending time together outside of practices and games.

Varsity Water Polo player Zoe ‘22 shares one of her favorite parts about team bonding on the water polo team.

“A small tradition of ours is to occasionally do ‘dinner on decks,’ where we can all hang out and eat dinner together after practice,” Zoe said.

The Varsity captains said they look forward to seeing how well the team performs for the rest of the season, and encourage others to join or support the water polo teams.

“One of our goals for the season is to get more girls in the younger grades to want to play water polo,” Franny said.“We want people to join the team next year, and to know how much fun water polo is and that our team is getting better.”