Basketball wins big

Varsity Basketball players Isabella ’23, Jacqueline ’23, Bria ’21, Autumn ’23, Hana ’23, Gia ’22, Anissa ’22, Kumi ’21, Harrison ’22, Parker ’20, Erin ’20, Daphne ’23, Catherine ’21 pose before a home game.

Varsity Basketball has had a successful season so far with a 17-4 record. One of their biggest accomplishments was winning the championship at the Nike Tournament.

Over winter break, the team traveled to the Nike Tournament of Champions in Arizona and the West Coast Jamboree in Oakland, where they faced tough competition from all over the U.S. In the Nike Tourna- ment, the team went 4-0 and won the championship for that tournament. In the West Coast Jamboree Tour- nament, Varsity Basketball was put into the Derril division which is the second toughest division in the tour- nament. They won the consolation game and left the tournament with a 2-1 record.

Co-captains Parker ‘20 and Erin ‘20 said that bonding was important for the team’s successes. They have participated in activities, like escape rooms, to help the team learn how to work together, and they said finding breaks during tournaments was a good way to get to know each other and become closer.

“At the tournaments, we would go to the mall and have team dinners, but during our down time, we would play cards or sometimes play hide and go seek,” Parker said.

The team includes girls from Grades 9-12, and this year, the team has five freshmen. Varsity Basketball Head Coach Chris Rodgers said starting the season earlier helped the team get to know each other before the season started. Freshmen players Jacqui ‘23 and Hana ‘23 both said hanging out before and after practice was a great way to get to know all the older players as well as the other team bonding activities that were scheduled by coaches.

“Doing stuff outside the scheduled team bonding activities, like making TikToks, have helped our team feel more connected,” Jacqui said.

The Preseason CIF Poll has ranked the team currently third in the South- ern California division. Coach Chris Rodgers said he has set high goals for the team and is excited to continue playing league games in the next few weeks.

“Our goal is to win league, win CIF and to compete for states,” Rodgers said. “Right now, we are on track for that.”