Reinholtz named World Languages Department Head

Eric Reinholtz, rising World Languages Department Head, teaches Honors Hispanic Literature. Photo by Jenna '16.
Eric Reinholtz, rising World Languages Department Head, teaches Honors Hispanic Literature.
Photo by Jenna ’16.

After 14 years of teaching at Marlborough, world languages and history instructor Eric Reinholtz will assume the position of World Languages Department Head in the 2016-17 school year as current head Leigh Hansen steps down.

“I am thrilled because we have a really strong department,” Reinholtz said.

He cited supporting students as a major goal. He said he looks forward to serving as a resource for students as they progress through the world languages department and make decisions about their linguistic studies. As department head, other world language instructors will look to him as a source of support. He will strive to keep lines of communication fluid both within the department and externally.

In supporting the members of his department, Reinholtz hopes to impart effective teaching approaches to the instructors that will make language come alive for students. He emphasized the importance of practicing speaking a language as a skill to have for life.

“Learning a language is not flipping through pages and covering chapters. It is ‘am I speaking more?’ and encouraging people to take every opportunity they can,” Reinholtz said. “The language skills you build now will allow you to communicate with people all over the world.”

Reinholtz has taught in the English, history and world languages departments in the past but will refocus all of his efforts to the World Languages Department upon becoming its head.

Reinholtz commended Hansen for her impact on the department since she’s been its head. Hansen brought the Chinese program to Marlborough, rebuilt the French program and established the exchange programs the School currently offers. Hansen will continue to teach Latin next year. She said she looks forward to being able to dedicate more time to teaching and to passing her position onto Reinholtz.

“I think he’s going to be a wonderful department head because he’s such a great communicator,” Hansen said.