The Secret Fork

Lisa and Mo's cupcakes provided an original taste at the Secret Fork event. Photo by flickr user Eva Blue.

The Secret Fork, a members-only club and marketplace that promotes local and sustainable foods in the Los Angeles area, held its second event on Sunday, Jan. 22 from 11a.m. to 4p.m. in Mar Vista.

To gain access to these events, restaurant owners, vendors and interested Los Angelenos must complete an online Secret Fork membership form.

During the winter of 2011, the organization held its inaugural event at KTCHN 105, a studio  in the heart of the Downtown produce district designed for learning, entertaining and coming together to appreciate food. There, a mixture of chefs, entrepreneurs, artisans and foodies gathered for a private tasting and shopping experience of organic crafts, wines and cuisines.

Lisa & Mo, a gluten-free baking business, was one of the main vendors at both Secret Fork events. Unconventional in their design, Lisa & Mo’s cupcakes were principally made of almond flour, legumes, vegetables and fruit.

Some of Lisa & Mo’s unique creations include avocado cupcakes with chocolate, cinnamon and nuts as well as brownie bites made of black beans. However, their most popular invention was the beet chocolate cupcake with goat cheese filling.

In addition, a bar situated in the corner of the studio was equipped with a coffee roasting station as well as a jam cocktail station, where a bartender crushed fresh berries and jam with seltzer water to make virgin drinks.

Since the event was an exclusive, intimate gathering, attendees were able to interact with the vendors on a more personal basis. If you were an emerging culinary talent, what would you showcase to compete with Lisa & Mo’s cupcakes?