Cherishing my morning time

Sophia+27+contributing+illustrator+
Sophia ’27 contributing illustrator

At the beginning of the 2023-2024 school year, Marlborough implemented a homeroom period. Each morning, students spend five minutes with their advisories at 8:30 a.m. while advisors take attendance, check uniforms and foster a community.

Many Marlborough students feel that it is inconvenient to go somewhere far away from their first-period class for just five minutes. However, I am one of homeroom’s biggest fans. 

I partially credit my love of this time block to my wonderful advisor, Dean of Social Justice and Community Partnerships Pamela Wright, with whom my advisory and I regularly discuss everything from pop culture obsessions to obscure shower thoughts. I also greatly appreciate that homeroom creates consistency each morning.

While I acknowledge that a first-period teacher could take attendance like advisors do, homeroom creates a comfortable environment to set the tone for the day. You can spend your Healthy Start in the same room each morning instead of awkwardly standing around in a different place every day. I have frequently used my homeroom, which is perfectly situated beside Café M, to study with friends without having to face the morning’s chaos.  

Also, homeroom is an opportunity to have a completely random conversation with someone I wouldn’t normally see in the morning. Whether it’s stressing over the upcoming LEQ or wondering how it is still 80 degrees at the end of October, my homeroom is incredibly bonded. 

As someone who thrives on routine, I adore seeing the same people each morning before walking to class with just the right amount of time to get there, not worried about being late or too early. Moreover, since homeroom was implemented, teachers have witnessed a rise in punctuality and attendance to students’ first-period classes. 

Overall, the increased structure of homeroom has provided a perfect transition from the drowsy early morning hours into the productivity of a school day. It has allowed me to start each day with a smile on my face.