The Eras Tour: See it live or watch in theaters?

Lizzie+27+Contributing+Illustrator+
Lizzie ’27 Contributing Illustrator

Since March 17, Taylor Swift has been traveling around the world for her Eras Tour. For the lucky ones who managed to get tickets, attending her concert has been the highlight of their year. For the people who did not get tickets, it has been a rollercoaster of emotions as they refresh Ticketmaster sites and come to terms with the fact that they are not attending the concert. Instead, they tune in through others’ TikTok live videos. 

To my surprise, in early August, Swift announced that the Eras Tour would be coming to the big screen. My first source for this announcement came from my sister. When I say this made her excited, I mean I heard shrieks so loud that I contemplated calling the police. With the “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” concert film now in theaters, there are many reasons I believe this is a better option than attending the tour.

First off, with 146 concerts on the tour, there are about 10.5 million people who paid an average of $249 to attend so far. In contrast, the price of a ticket to watch the Eras Tour film is $19.89 for adults and $13.13 for children. Attending the film is significantly more affordable than Eras Tour tickets and allows people who didn’t attend the concert to share a similar  experience. 

You can do the same things at the movies that you might at the tour: make friendship bracelets, coordinate group outfits with friends and buy the overpriced merch after the show. It doesn’t matter if that Eras T-shirt comes from an Amazon truck and not a line you waited in for 45 minutes at the concert. 

You’ll make better memories when you and your friends wait to buy popcorn at the movie theater, and you’ll still get to see Taylor Swift perform.