AP Chemistry removal

Katie ’24 Staff Illustrator

As of the 2023-2024 school year, the Science Department will no longer offer AP Chemistry and  the course Advanced Topics in Chemistry will take its place. Science Instructors Mark Guevin and Lisa Ellis shared their thoughts regarding this change, with both expressing that Advanced Topics in Chemistry will be a rigorous course that will require students to devote considerable time to studying and completing assignments.

“Although this new class is not designed to prepare students for the AP exam, it is still an advanced-level course that will have an honors designation and will be UC-approved as a lab science class,” Guevin said.

According to Guevin, the workload for Advanced Topics in Chemistry is comparable to the workload of prior AP Chemistry courses, but it will allow students to achieve a more extensive understanding of the material. In order to sign up for the class, the completion of Honors Chemistry is the only prerequisite.

“There can be more focus on building a deep understanding that allows students to make connections and apply what they are learning rather than just memorizing large quantities of information,” Guevin said. “The workload will still be similar to the old AP course, but there will be more emphasis on depth rather than breadth.”

Ellis explained the benefits of moving away from AP Chemistry, emphasizing a more flexible schedule for classes, with fewer curriculum constraints.

“Teachers will not need to devote in-class time to review and exam preparation, and they will also be able to teach new material throughout the month of May,” Ellis said.“Having that additional time will also allow for more extensive lab work that is inquiry-driven.” 

Dolores ‘25 shared her perspective on the science department’s decision to remove AP Chemistry.

“I’m very excited for Advanced Topics in Chemistry,” Dolores said. “I think that it will be challenging even if it’s not an AP, but fun at the same time as there will be more time to delve deeper into the topics we’re studying.”