Spoiler Alert: There is Life Without Technology

Photo by Flikr user jeff_golden
Photo by Flikr user jeff_golden

With all of today’s technology, knickknacks and gadgets, it’s hard for the majority of the School’s population to remember a time without smart phones, computers and the Internet. However, here are a few suggestions for what you can do if you are grounded and your parents take away all of your electronics, or if all of the electronics in the world spontaneously mass-destruct.

Card games are always a fun way to distract yourself. With a multitude of different versions of solitaire to play by yourself, or games such as Go Fish or Egyptian Rat Screw to play with others, I’m sure you can spend a good amount of time entertaining yourself.

If you’re not a fan of card games, try reading. And no, I do not mean textbooks or AP Euro notes, but actual novels, such as I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by the wonderful Maya Angelou (enough said) or American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, a book that takes you on a wild ride in the mind of a supposed serial killer.

If worse comes to worst and you can’t entertain yourself with reading or card games, then try sleeping. Students are notorious for not getting enough sleep, so maybe a mass shutdown of technology is a blessing in disguise; you can get a few more hours of shut-eye.