Marlborough hosts sessions about the Israel-Hamas war

Contributing Illustrator Coco ’24

Marlborough’s History and Social Sciences Department hosted two community conversations at lunch on Friday, Oct. 13 and Wednesday, Oct. 18 pertaining to the Israel-Hamas war. The first of these conversations focused on providing historical context for these events, while the second hosted a panel of history teachers who encouraged students to ask questions, share experiences and express their thoughts. Before the second meeting, a form was sent to students in order to collect their questions, and a microphone was also passed around at the event to allow for further dialogue. 

“After the first meeting, we heard that students wanted more information, but more importantly, wanted to have their questions answered,” Department Head of History and Social Sciences Mabel Wong said. 

The conversations were intended to educate students on this topic and provide emotional support.

“We recognized that the sensitivity of this topic necessitated a space for students to learn about the conflict, how to manage engagement with social media and the news and how to take care of themselves and their community,” Director of Equity and Inclusion Jenn Wells said. “These spaces allow us to come together and affirm how much our students want to learn and empathize with their fellow students who may be more directly impacted.”

Prior to the meetings, the History and Social Sciences Department, alongside other faculty members, discussed what resources would be utilized and how to make sure information was presented in a respectful manner. During the conversations, community agreements, such as “speak as though someone in the room is directly impacted,” and “take responsibility for impact” were implemented in hopes of providing students with methods for addressing situations where someone felt uncomfortable or harmed. 

Alongside these conversations, the Educational and Counseling Services Department held three Grounding, Connection and Care sessions, which offered students a space to work through their emotions regarding these events. According to Wells, there are other opportunities on campus for students who would like assistance or more information. 

“The Office of Equity and Inclusion and Educational and Counseling Services are great resources for students who are seeking support,” Wells said. “Additionally, our History faculty are wonderful sources of educational materials for students.”