Five key faculty members leave Marlborough

From left to right, top to bottom: Lee Mirsky, Josiah Cameron, Khanichi Charles, Melissa Banister and Kathy Rea.

At the end of this school year, Marlborough will say goodbye to five important members of the community. Visual Arts Instructor Kathy Rea, History and Social Sciences Instructor Josiah Cameron, Mathematics Instructor Melissa Banister, Science Instructor and BIPOC Internship Program Head Khanichi Charles and Engineering and Entrepreneurship Program Head Lee Mirsky will not be returning to Marlborough next year.

Rea is looking forward to having more time for her personal creative projects as well as quality time with her daughter after 29 years at Marlborough. During her time at Marlborough, Rea has taught every grade level in drawing and painting, studio art, architecture, printmaking and numerous other mediums. Additionally, Rea created the first Marlborough yearly planner, co-directed Marlborough Summer School, brought the first 3D printers to the school, assisted in founding the Campus Environmental Committee and designed the new performing and visual arts wings. Rea takes great pride in the role she has played in encouraging students to recognize and gain confidence in their artistic abilities.

“I hope they will fearlessly follow their passion always, take informed risks, embrace change and challenges, persist and never stop learning or believing in their creative capabilities … and in themselves,” Rea said.

Alongside teaching three grade levels of history, Cameron also created Marlborough’s personal finance program and Mustang Capital, a program that provides students the opportunity to manage a portion of the School’s endowment fund in his seven years at the school. Next year, Cameron will move to San Luis Obisbo, his hometown, to be closer to his family and begin teaching history at SLO High. Although he won’t miss LA’s traffic, he will miss Marlborough’s students.

“I am constantly blown away by how curious, dedicated and kind Marlborough students are,” Cameron said.

Throughout her 11 years at Marlborough, Charles has taught numerous science classes and served as a class dean, faculty mentor, AACE advisor and assistant coach for cross country and track and field. Additionally, Charles has worked as the ViBEE Fellowship Program Head and as a Violet’s 101 facilitator, along with being a Marlborough parent. Charles is taking an administrative role at an independent school in Austin next year, but she will miss her students and friends immensely.

Mirsky has had many roles during her eight years at Marlborough. Mirsky has taught a variety of classes in physics, engineering, entrepreneurship and was a faculty advisor for Alliance, on top of being a teacher, she was recently appointed the Engineering & Entrepreneurship Program Head and the Associate Director of the Frank & Eileen Accelerator Program. At the end of this year, Mirsky will move to Austin to be closer to her family. Her favorite part of her Marlborough expierences has been the opportunity to work with Marlborough students, specifically through the Accelerator Program.

“It has been amazing to see the confidence that students have in their ideas and the endurance to see it through,” Mirsky said.

Throughout her 17 years at Marlborough, Banister has taught various math classes, advised multiple iterations of the math club and participated in the Staculty Choir. She has also enjoyed pioneering basic coding lessons in the Scratch program to some of her classes. After having her -first child earlier this year, Banister is excited to have more time at home with her family.

“I am most looking forward to getting to spend time with my son Akash and to watching him grow, teaching him and giving him new experiences,” Banister said.

All five of these influential faculty members have had an immense impact on the Marlborough community and will be missed.