Drug Free Ways to Cure Cramps

Yoga is a great way to banish cramps. Photo by flickr user lululemon athletica.

It’s that time of the month again, your cycle has just started and you’re stuck lying on your bed clutching your stomach, trying to find the right position to make your cramps go away. We all go through it. But popping pills isn’t the only solution to this pain, so here are few tricks to help you get rid of cramps without take Advil every three hours.

Exercise: Taking yoga or spin classes can help:when you work out, your brain releases internal opioids called beta-endorphins which produce analgesia (pain relief) and help burn prostaglandins (which cause menstrual cramps) faster.

Heat: Applying heat to areas that experience cramping is great way to get rid of pain. This can include taking hot showers or baths, or investing in a heating pad.

Stretches: Certain stretches can help cramping as well. These stretches can be done while watching TV or even doing homework and diminish pain from lower back cramps and stomach cramps.

The Butterfly Stretch: Sit on the floor with your legs in a V position out in front of you. Bring the bottoms of your feet together and move your feet as close to your body as you can without pain. Bend forward slightly with your back straight.

The Wall Stretch: Lie on your back facing a wall and scoot until your butt touches the wall. Hold your legs up in the air parallel to the wall, then let them separate into a V shape.

The Bent Chair Stretch: This stretch can be done anytime you are sitting. Sit with your legs slightly apart and bend forward over your legs. This is a simple stretch that can be done anywhere and diminish the pain.

Try these drug-free methods next time you have cramps to see which ones work best for you!