DJ Shortee Pumps Up Caswell Crowd

McKenna ’14 / Staff Illustrator
McKenna ’14 / Staff Illustrator

Renowned disc jockey, author and teacher Shannon Bruno, aka DJ Shortee, spoke and performed in Caswell Hall on Jan. 7 during the first All-School Meeting of 2013, organized by the DJ Club and their advisor, visual arts instructor Chelsea Dean. Shortee recounted how her future husband Bobby, known professionally as DJ Faust, introduced her to the craft of turntabling and “scratching,” a technique used to produce high-pitched sound with moving records. Known for being one of the first internationally respected female DJs, Shortee also discussed some of the sexism present in such a male-dominated world, recounting a time when she tried to enter a club and the security rebuffed her because they could not believe she was the DJ. Finally she demonstrated her skills on a turntable, which included mixing and beat matching, while the the DJ club, also known as the “Vixens of Vinyl,” threw out glowsticks. Christine Ocheltree ’16 said she enjoyed the performance as a whole but wished that “people would have gotten more into it, like standing up. That would have made [the ASM] more fun.”