The Loyola Wave

An ocean wave crashes against shoreside rocks. Photo by Amada44.

Hundreds of high school girls flocked to Loyola High School on Saturday, Sept. 17th to attend the first dance of the 2011-2012 school year.

The theme of this inaugural dance party was the “Wave,” in which students were encouraged to break out their blue attire, resembling the color of the ocean.

In a Facebook posting on the event, Loyola students said that this oceanic theme was appropriate because, “a wave is a sudden outburst of passion or emotion, and at the dance, students are expected to have fun and let loose.”

From 8 to 11p.m., a live D.J. played popular songs such as Katy Perry’s “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)” and LMFAO’s “Party Rock Anthem.” A projector displaying various dance videos accompanied the music, providing an additional source of entertainment.

Friends and couples reported to the dance floor, shouting out lyrics and attempting to dougie, a hip-hop dance.

Glow sticks, necklaces and bracelets were sold for five dollars, and students, adorned in these neon lights, illuminated under the night sky.

Personally, I enjoyed listening and dancing to the music with friends. However, with an attendance of approximately 3,000 boys and girls, the dance floor quickly flooded, and the crowd was overwhelming. Due to such a crowd, it was easy to get separated from my group of friends. In all, the result was that party-goers spent more time looking for their “lost” friends in the sea of teenagers than actually dancing.