Letter from the editors: As “scene” in the newspaper

Madeline, Elyse and Tahirah enter the UV room, stage left. After an impossible Euro test, waiting in the ridiculously long line in the cafeteria and deciding their futures in a college meeting, the girls exchange disheartened looks as they realize that they have a newspaper to get out.

Madeline (concerned): So, what are we exactly going to do for this last issue of the year?

Elyse: It’s our first issue as the senior editors—

Tahirah: So whatever we do, it’s got to be good.

Madeline: Right. Big task. Oh my goodness.

Four weeks past by. Somehow, the last of the UltraViolet has gone to print—all sixteen pages of it. Con­versations are overheard from carefree, frolicking seventh graders.

Seventh grader #1: Have you done the UV’s crossword puzzle yet? I’m stumped on 13 across.

Seventh grader #2: I haven’t yet! I’m still learning about our new All-School Council, page 6!

Cut back to Madeline, Elyse and Tahirah surveying the paper they have just put out. Blood, sweat and tears have gone into this.

Madeline: The paper is a lot different this issue, as you might have noticed.

Tahirah: We’ve got many more pages and a new design…

Elyse: And a bunch of new staff members…

Madeline: More eye-catching graphics, photos, information and stories too… and headlines! (Madeline loves coming up with catchy headlines)

Elyse: What we cover is a lot more personable and more about the community, and we want to highlight more people at Marlborough.

Madeline: Right, because as much as the UltraViolet focuses on what’s happening beyond Marlborough and bringing that information back to the School, it’s still a Marlborough newspaper.

Tahirah: And it should reflect the community.

All: We’re here to serve you! (laughter breaks out as the girls joke about their cult-like slogan)

Madeline: The print issue isn’t everything.

Elyse: Our online site has great new blogs, Voices—

Tahirah: So anyone’s “Voice can be heard.” And next year we’ll have even more new columnists!

Elyse: Videos, slideshows…

Tahirah: New ways to highlight our talents.

Madeline: We’re not making this all up—the daily number of hits on our website has dramatically in­creased this year, which is really exciting!

Tahirah: It’s just become more appealing and fun for the reader. And over the summer we promise the site will get faster.

Elyse: We hope everyone will truly be happy to get her copy of the paper.

Madeline: I think people will. We’ve had a more challenging year, with a significantly smaller staff and a new advisor…

Tahirah: But look at much fun we’ve had…

Elyse: And look at all we’ve done…

Madeline: And look at all we’re doing.