Letter to the Editor: Uniforms have lost their purpose

Dear UV,

I love our uniform. I think I was one of the few people who was not inspired to win the Hunger Games for the prize of one week of free dress. I love being able to get up in the morning and not have to worry about what I’m going to wear or what I look like. And the Marlborough uniform is relatively diverse. I love that girls are able to show their personality in the way they interpret and accessorize the uniform. By wearing earrings, scarves or headbands, girls can really take the uniform and make it their own.

That being said, I think that some girls take it a little too far. Someone completely unconnected to the school should be able to look at a random collection of girls (yes, even seniors) and discern roughly what the uniform is from looking at them. As things stand, this would be impossible. I think that girls should make an effort to wear sweaters and sweatshirts that are, at the very least, the correct color. Polo shirts are also, contrary to popular belief, not optional.

I’m not saying that the uniform needs to be followed to the letter because, quite frankly, it’s almost impossible for anyone to be completely in uniform 100% of the time, but I do think that people should at least be wearing a gray or khaki skirt or pants and a white or navy blue polo shirt. I’m all for individuality, and I think its great that students express their personality through their clothes, but I don’t think that uniformity, which is, after all, the entire point of a uniform, should have to be sacrificed to do it.

-Catherine ’12