Softball wins first playoff

CLOSE ONE: Alix '11 looks to tage a Ramona Convent runner during a tough 3-2 home field loss on April 27. The Mustangs came back to beat Ramona 5-3 on the road in the final Sunshine League game May 13, tying them for second place, the team's best finish in the league ever. The team finished with a regular season record of 13-9.

The varsity softball team won its first CIF-SS playoff game in school history May 20, with an 8-1 victory over Oxford Academy, seeded fifth in CIF-SS Division VI.

The Mustangs scored two runs in the first inning, which gave the team confidence, outfielder Sara D.’11 said. They shut out Oxford Academy for the first six innings because of “really solid defense,” she said.

“It was nerve-wracking in the beginning of the game,” said shortstop Alix’11. “We were totally crushed last year because we had lost so many seniors to a school trip, and we didn’t want a repeat of that kind of defeat since we’ve come so far.”

The team tied for second in the Sunshine League finals, its highest league finish in school history.

Individual season records won’t be final until after playoffs, but through the first playoff game, Alix had 33 stolen bases, according to maxpreps.com, breaking the school record of 26 set in 1992. Zoe ’11 scored 33 runs, breaking the 1989 record of 23, and Alix and Kerry ’13 also broke the runs record, with Taylor ’12 tying it. Kerry shattered the 1989 RBI record of 26 with 33.

Alix said that her personal goal this season was to push herself to improve, but her greatest accomplishment so far was the team’s success in the first CIF playoff game.

“Actually breaking the school records was great, but I like winning as a team better,” she said.

“We exceeded our expectations this year,” Sara said. “Even with such a young team and no seniors, we have made

Marlborough softball history,” Sara said.

At press time the team was in route to Bermuda Valley to take on Desert Christian in its second playoff game.